How to treat dust mites with a homemade remedy
They live in almost every household and are practically invisible. We're talking about dust mites. These little critters can't be seen with the naked eye, but they're responsible for a multitude of health problems. They are particularly fond of sheets, pillowcases and blankets. Wouldn't you prefer not to share your bed with these small animals that feed on dead skin cells?
Millions of them lurk unnoticed in bedding. Under an electron microscope, the pests look like grotesque alien creatures. And they can cause some serious damage.
Most people first notice them when they develop a runny nose, itchy eyes and other allergic reactions. In serious cases, ailments can include extreme rashes or asthmatic seizures. What many people who suffer from dust allergies don't realize is that the trigger for these symptoms isn't the dust itself, but the mite's fecal matter contained therein.
— Cleveland Clinic (@ClevelandClinic) 13. April 2016
Regularly washing your sheets is a good start to treating or preventing an infestation, though pillows and comforters themselves are clearly more difficult to launder. Moreover, not every vacuum cleaner is effective against the small pests. So what can you do to get rid of dust mites? One super effective method is a eucalyptus oil mixture. As well as being reliable, it's a completely natural home remedy.
- 2 cups distilled water
- 15-30 drops of eucalyptus oil
— Renee Robinson (@ReneeRobinson1) 30. Oktober 2015
Mix the eucalyptus oil in water and stir until it's completely dissolved. Fill a spray bottle with the mixture and spray it on all bedding that's difficult to wash.
Next, hang your treated fabrics in a warm, dry place or give them a spin in the dryer. If you repeat this treatment three times a week, soon dust mites will no longer be an issue. It's not entirely understood why this method works so well, but all the same, it's very effective. One potential danger of the eucalyptus oil: it should be kept out of reach of children under 10 because it can be poisonous if swallowed. So always be sure to keep the oil in a secured location. Then you'll not only have peace of mind for all your little monsters, but your house will also be once more free from pests.